Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Shawna Sings the Blues

I have this amazing friend. Her name is Shawna Romolliwa. I’ve known Shawna for maybe five or six years. We don’t hang out or anything, but we’re still friends. I still get a heartfelt hug when we meet. As if her beauty, intelligence and compassion weren’t enough, she also has this incredible voice.

Many of my friends in Lethbridge know Shawna and can attest to her amazing singing talent. If you do not live in southern Alberta, I feel sorry for you. You are living a life deprived of a great musical experience. Just check out The Shawna Romolliwa Band.

The first time I heard Shawna sing, I thought of her style and voice as a cross between Sade and Enya. That’s all changed since she started singing blues. Now there is a raw, edgy sexiness to her music. When you go to The Shawna Romolliwa Band, click on Hound Dog. You’ll never think of Elvis again.

This afternoon I was listening to a ’70s station at work and a particular song came on. Suddenly, I realized that, in fact, Shawna’s style now reminds me of someone else who has a raw, edgy sexiness. That’s the amazing Tina Turner. Tina rocks. If you think today’s cookie-cutter fabricated ‘stars’ are hot, let this video open your eyes to what was happening way back when. And that ain’t no lame-ass lip synching, kiddies! Would love to see today’s pop tarts tackle this kind of energy and still have something left for singing rather than mouthing the words while they prance around.

I don’t know if Shawna will read this, but if so, I hope she also checks out the Tina video. I hear her vocals now; I think she could do a kick-ass version of Proud Mary. In fact, I’d love to see her band take it on. Not an exact copy, but adapted to her own style.

I can just imagine this rockin' The Slice some night, and I bet some of my Lethbridge friends and picture it, too!

Sure, The Shawna Romolliwa band plays the blues. Maybe this doesn’t fit exactly. But it’s a powerful song that requires a powerful voice and a singer with real stage presence to pull it off.

I think Shawna could do it and I’d love to see it.

No comments: