Saturday, May 15, 2010

Is it All About the Money?




Friday was amazing. Day off from work. Sun shining. Temperatures at that perfect not-to-hot, not-too-cold stage. Max and I exploring around Nicholas Sheran lake in West Lethbridge. That’s when it hit me. It really doesn’t get much better than this. And then I thought about Michael Taylor’s show on Unity.fm this week with the subject “Is It All About the Money?”

Why that show? Simple. If that is the lifestyle I’d like, meaning having time off when I want to do what I want whenever I want, it will take money. If I have a goal to achieve that lifestyle, is that all about the money?

Michael Taylor’s show is part of his effort to create a new paradigm of masculinity. Too many men find their justification for being in things, money and the career. But our real purpose lies within and many men are completely out of touch with what’s important. Michael talked about his own struggle with a desire to be rich and how he was constantly pursuing investments and business opportunities until he reached a point where he questioned what he was doing with his life.

Is it really all about the money? No. Not that there’s anything wrong with acquiring it. But that shouldn’t be the sole purpose or goal.

I can relate to Michael’s story about his early struggles with money. I’ve pursued more than one opportunity for the potential income, not for a deeper purpose. Why would I do that? Being unhappy with a job situation and some financial struggles were usually the key factors. I could pursue an opportunity strictly for monetary reasons and not because it touched something deeper within me.

If you’ve ever tried this, you know it often leads to an unsuccessful venture.

But what if the pursuit of the goal, in my case the desire to have more independence and freedom in life, actually lines up a truth that is at the core of your being? In other words, what if you are pursuing something that has meaning for you on a deeper level? Something you really believe in.

Hmmmmm. Maybe then your financial gain and how you define yourself as a person isn’t all about the money. The money is just a side benefit.

Something to think about.

Photos from Friday at Nicholas Sheran: Top - Yellow-headed blackbird. Top right - Red-winged blackbird. Above - Max looking proud while sitting on rock.

No comments: