Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010: Begin Again - The End is Here; SMART Goals/Resolutions

And now, the end is here
And so I face the final curtain.

Regrets, I’ve had a few
But then again, too few to mention.

Yes, there were times, I’m sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.

There you have the first two lines from the first three verses of My Way. Don’t worry. I’m not expiring, but the final curtain is falling on the year 2010. It’s a year I began with the theme, 2010: Begin Again. The idea was to forget about resolutions and go for revolutions instead. Take charge and make changes in my life. Looking back, I see successes and learning opportunities along the way.

It’s Dec. 29. I’m off work. The wind is blowing and it’s snowing. Before I go out to tackle the runway I call a driveway, I thought I’d share some thoughts as I bring the theme to a close.

You should know this will be a bit different from past entries, Every once in awhile, a song title will appear. I’m sipping iced tea and listening to CDs I made a few years ago for my 25th anniversary with Lynda. I thought I’d let you know what I’m listening to as we go along here. These were all songs that were popular when we got married way back in 1981.

I started the current CD while emptying the dishwasher and getting a few things cleaned up. So far you’ve missed:
  • You Make My Dreams Come True – Hall and Oats
  • Imagine – John Lennon
  • Young Turks – Rod Stewart
  • Don’t Stand So Close to Me – The Police
  • Waiting on a Friend – The Rolling Stones
  • Our Lips are Sealed – The GoGos
  • Every Little Thing She Does is Magic – The Police
  • Elvira – The Oak Ridge Boys (Had to include it as it was popular, even if not with me.)
  • I am a Woman in Love – Barbara Striesand
  • How ‘Bout Us – Champagne
  • I Love You – Climax Blues Band
And now, back to the blog.

When I began 2010, I had some definite ideas in mind as to what I wanted to see happen during the year. Some areas definitely saw more progress than others. At the top of the list, I’d have to put my spiritual walk. Throughout 2010 my path continued to develop, bringing me to the point I am at now.

My spiritual path has followed many twists and turns through my life. As a teenager, I declared myself to be an atheist. In my 20s I began questioning that belief. I became a member of an evangelical Christian church in Red Deer. From there I ended up attending a Pentecostal church in Sylvan Lake. When I moved back to Red Deer, I became a member of a very fundamentalist church. It’s still there and still quite large.

It’s My Turn – Diana Ross

I started questioning again as the beliefs of the church truly flew in the face of what I knew about science and the history of this amazing home we call earth. I drifted to an evangelic church, then on to a liberal church – the United Church of Canada. I was much more at home here. They even referred to God as She on occasion! Still, I questioned. Soon I was attending the Centre for Positive Living in Red Deer, a spiritual centre based on New Thought teachings . . . not to be confused with New Age.

I remained with the centre until I moved to Lethbridge. There isn’t a church with that focus, so I stopped attending anywhere and started exploring and questioning on my own. While I followed the teachings of Unity Church for a few years, I struggled with some principles expressed on an online radio show hosted by some leaders.

My Endless Love – Diana Ross and Lionel Richie (Ick!)

And, finally, the circle is complete. I’m back to where I started, and happily so. Well, not exactly where I started. I am no longer a teen and I see myself as a secular humanist. I do not believe in a god-creator of the universe.

Instead, I’m overwhelmed by the magnificence of the universe and our own little slice of it. The need to protect it, care for it and to love and care for our fellow human beings is my faith base. John Lennon really addressed it with the song Imagine,

Crying – Don McLean

I have found a spiritual home with the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Lethbridge. With UUF I find open minds and people willing to accept each other as they are. No need to convert or to find salvation from a non-existent original sin. Here people can follow their own path and celebrate with each other where we intersect.

So, spiritually, I’m saying it was a fantastic year and I’m looking forward to more growth in the years to come.

Health was also a concern coming into 2010, both physically and mentally. I’m going to claim 50% success here. Mentally, I’m quite content. I’ve been reading some excellent books and reduced the stresses in life considerably.

Sweetheart – Franke and The Knockouts

Physically, I did not achieve what I set out to do . . . drop some significant pounds. However, with other things now well on track, I can focus on this goal in 2011. I’m going to be approaching it logically and sensibly by focusing on eating habits and getting some exercise. No pills or potions. So, we’ll see how that goes in the coming year.

Financially, there were also some objectives to tackle. I’m really interested in home-based businesses and looking to create additional income streams. 2010 saw a lot of research. In the past, I’ve too often jumped into something without really thinking about it. That’s when I’d find it wasn’t really a fit for me.

The Breakup Song – Greg Kihn Band (Love this song!)

This past year, I looked into several potential avenues. I found something I really like with training by someone I greatly admire. This is Send Out Cards and I’m working with a dynamic woman named Jackie Ulmer. It’s all about connecting with people and that’s something I’m trying to achieve in life. And Jackie doesn’t teach high-pressure sale tactics, which fits well with my approach to life.

Just the Two of Us – Grover Washington Jr. and Bill Withers (Another great song.)

So I’m not rushing it to become an ‘overnight’ success. I’m approaching it as an extension of my lifestyle. I’ve also decided to add an additional stream having discovered a Canadian company called OnlyGreen. Its focus is on environmentally friendly products that are safe for people to use in their homes and for personal care. Again, it fits with lifestyle and belief in the need for each of us to do what we can to protect the planet and our health. To get a quick idea of what I mean, go check the labels on some of the personal care items in your home. How many of the ingredients can you pronounce? Do you know what they really are? Can you say sodium laureth sulfate? More to come on that!

Finally, Lynda and I met with a representative for Manulife One. Maybe you’ve seen their commercials showing the party/reception with Mr. And Mrs. 46,000 talking to Miss 27,000 and so on.

Woman – John Lennon

My investment advisor suggested we check it out. No advantage to her, just sharing a good thing. Well, we were impressed by Manulife’s approach and mad the switch. It’s starting us off the new year on a sound footing that we haven’t had for a number of years. Thanks, Jason, for coming to our place to explain it all!

Urgent – Foreigner

So, what’s in store for 2011?

I’m going to declare the revolution is over and I’m going back to resolutions, but with a difference.

So many people make resolutions and so many people fail to keep them. Why is that? I think it might be because a resolution is not a real goal. Too often it’s more like a thoughtful wish. I know I should shed some weight, so that’s my resolution for 2011. Nice thought, but there needs to be a plan to back it up!

Make your resolutions goals with a plan and success rates will go up. This is something I’ve known for a long time, but failed to act upon. This year I vow to make my resolutions SMART goals.

Kiss On My List – Hall and Oates

I’m assuming that by now everyone knows about SMART goals. However, I also know that when you ‘assume’ you make an ‘ass’ of ‘u’ and ‘me.’ So here’s a quick review of SMART goals. If you’re still reading (and I really don’t know if anyone reads these blogs or not) I encourage you to apply this methodology to your resolutions.

S – Specific
M – Measurable
A – Achievable
R – Relevant
T – Timely

Specific: What exactly will you accomplish?  “I want to lose weight.” “I want to get my debt under control.” “I want to find a new career.” All very nice resolutions, but there isn’t anything specific about them.

Starting Over – John Lennon

Let’s look at weight loss. Yes, I want to lose weight, but that’s very general. Far better to note that I want to lose 30 pounds or whatever your actual goal may be. Then you know exactly what you will accomplish.

Measurable: How will you know when you’ve reached this goal? In this case, it’s easy! I’ll be 30 pounds lighter. Even better, with a specific goal, I can measure progress along the way to achieving the desired end result. Your resolution/goal, must be measurable.

Lady – Lionel Richie and The Commodores

Achievable: Is achieving this goal realistic with effort and commitment? Do you have the resources to achieve this goal? If not, how will you get them? I believe that losing 30 pounds is definitely achievable. Others have done it. So can I with the right effort and commitment. What resources will I need? Knowledge about effective methods, diet and exercise will be needed. I have several books and websites marked that can provide the knowledge. If I need more, I’ll do some more research.

Relevant: Why is the goal significant in your life? There needs to be a real reason as to why you want to achieve a goal. It needs to be relevant.

Boy From New York City – Manhatten Transfer

Weight loss is important on a number of levels. Emotionally, a person can feel better if they reach a goal that enhances the physical appearance and well-being. Health is adversely affected by being overweight. Being healthy as years go by can be very relevant and maintaining a proper weight can help achieve that.

Timely: When will this goal be achieved? Here you get to choose how aggressively you will pursue a goal.

Chariots of Fire – Vangelis

Remember it also needs to be achievable. If losing 30 pounds is the goal, saying you want to do it this week is unrealistic and you are doomed to fail – unless you cut off a leg or something! So break the resolution or goal down. Let’s say you want to be 30 pounds lighter by the end of June 2011. That’s six months away. Then you can break the 30 pounds down to five pounds a month. Is that achievable? I should think so.

I would suggest not setting the time so far out that you don’t need to put effort into achieving it.

Physical – Olivia Newton John

For example, saying you’ll take two years to lose 30 pounds may not be a big enough stretch to motivate action. If you were looking at losing 100 pounds, then maybe two years is a good time frame.

SMART goals are a total package. Each facet must work with the others. If all are in line and a real desire for you, they can be achieved and help you keep the resolutions you make for the year.

Spirits in the Material World – The Police

With that my 2010: Begin Again theme draws to a conclusion. But you can continue to follow this blog through 2011. I have some ideas in mind to share as I continue along in the exciting journey of life. Ideas on being ‘green,’ personal growth, what’s positive in this sometimes crazy world of ours, and just some random thoughts.

Happy New Year, everyone! Coincidentally and appropriately, the following song just started.

Another One Bites the Dust - Queen

No comments: