Monday, August 16, 2010

2010: Begin Again . . . Lessons I Have Learned



“That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Get your money for nothin' get your chicks for free”
Dire Straits

Nice thought. The money, that is, not the chicks. I’m married. But let’s face it. No one gets money for nothing – lottery winners the exception, I suppose. Two in Canada are splitting $50 million after a draw this weekend. For 2010: Begin Again, I gave serious consideration to enhancing my income. Today more than ever a second income stream is a smart goal for most people.

Some of you know I’ve dabbled in some different home-based business ideas the last few years. Nothing really took for me. And there are a couple of reasons for that. One is, of course, you have to be committed to doing the necessary work and that commitment often needs some specific goals to keep you motivated.

I didn’t always have specific goals and so I must admit that I wasn’t always motivated to do the necessary work.

But there are other reasons, too. A couple of examples:
1. In one case, I discovered that the company I chose to work through had a weird policy in place that said Lynda and I could not build with them as a partnership. In fact, it said if I successfully built my business to the point where I was earning, say, $75,000 a year, and I got hit and killed by truck, Lynda could not take over. The company would take my business and turn it over to someone else who’d built a business with the same company. That didn’t fly with me. To me, the company was there to supply quality products and support efforts to build MY business. Needless to say, I’m not with them anymore.

2. I really liked another opportunity. It was creative. It offered a unique way to capture important family moments and preserve family history. And Lynda and I could work it together, so if anything happened to one, the other could keep on building. Then the company announced an special training seminar. I love seminars that are uplifting and offer good business-building event. One problem. The company was only allowing women to attend. Granted, the business likely appealed mostly to women, but there are men involved. I wouldn’t want to be part of an organization open to all that didn’t allow women to attend a seminar, so I wasn’t going to be part of one that did not include men.

Lesson learned. Do your research!! Before you make a decision to sign up with any opportunity, make sure it fits with your interests and how you’d like to do business.


Back to the Idea

Let’s get back to the idea of developing a second stream of income and why it’s so important. Personally, there are things I want to see and do that can’t be achieved with my current income. Please note that this does not mean I hate my job!

In the past I’ve had individuals offer me an idea for an additional income with the approach that, like many folks, I probably hate my job and would do anything to get out of it. Some would even refer to almost as a curse word – the J-O-B! Nope. That doesn’t work for me. Perhaps it’s a motivator for you and that’s OK. I understand because I’ve been there.

Imagine working for a family-run business that is operated by a father and his five sons. And it’s a dysfunctional family to boot! Yikes! Been there. Done that. Never again! Now I work for a community college. I’m in a great department and I really enjoy the people. For me, the motivator isn’t to get out of the job, but to build a supplemental income that can enhance my life experience.

Another reason to look at developing a supplemental income is for security. For a long time the myth was we could get a good education (still important), find a great company to work for and spend the next 40+ years building a secure career . . . with benefits and a retirement package.

If the last couple of years have taught us anything, it’s that there is no such thing as security in working for someone else. You can love your work. You can be a valued employee. You can be with a great company or organization. But you can lack control over a variety of influences that could spell the end to that great job.

Just ask all of those folks in the U.S. and Canada that saw their jobs vanish last month. And that’s on the road to the economic recovery I keep hearing about.

You would likely have your own reasons for considering a second income stream. Perhaps you’d like to travel more, make enough to cover a car or house payment, contribute to your favourite charity, save for a child’s education or any of hundreds of other reasons. That’s something you’d know better than I.

Lessons I’ve learned:


1. I’m not interested in a business built around home party plans. I have tried a couple and they can be fun and profitable. But they’re just not me. If you’re looking for an opportunity that can get you out of the house a few nights a week, it could be for you. Just be sure you have a real interest in the product line represented. That comes through in your presentation.

2. I don’t want to be tied to a specific location, so I want a business that can be built online, allowing me to work it wherever and whenever I wish.

3. The product has to interest me. There are many good opportunities to consider, so personal interest plays a major part for me. And it needs to be a legitimate product. Some companies market stuff that is questionable in my mind. If you find the product to have dubious benefits, don’t do it.

4. As I’m not a pushy sales type, I don’t want to be involved in something that requires a lot of hype. For me, it has to be something that can be easily introduced to people and appeal to them. If it doesn’t appeal, that’s OK. I only want to share with those who see a benefit for them.

5. This year I have committed to ‘begin again.’ One of the things I want to focus on is people. Working a business that is all about people and relationships is something that strongly appeals.

6. Finally, I’ve come to see that support is key. If you don’t have a lot of business experience, it’s great to have someone in your corner who can coach you along the way. Obviously, someone with experience in doing what you want to do is best.

My Choice

I’ve spent a fair amount of time researching and exploring. Having the summer off has been great for that purpose. There were a couple of things that interested me. Then came a fateful correspondence. If you’ve read my earlier blog entry you may know the one I’m referring to.

Shortly after realizing the importance of building and maintaining relationships, Jackie Ulmer and I reconnected. We hadn’t corresponded for a couple of years and she shared with me an idea that could help with my desire to build new and enhance old relationships. That idea is what fuels a company called Send Out Cards (SOC).

She let me send a card for free to see how the system works. I chose to send a card to a good friend of mine in Calgary. She’s important to me, but we hadn’t stayed in touch. Once I saw how the system worked, I knew it was for me. Keep your eye on your mailbox. You might me on my list to receive a card!

Seeing how SOC fit so well into part of my 2010: Begin Again plan for fostering friendships, it just seemed natural that I would look into it as a means of developing a second income stream. It matched up with all of the things I was looking for in a business, especially being able to build it online. So Lynda and I made the decision. We are now officially Send Out Cards independent distributors.

I invite you to check out our company site. If you know anyone who would appreciate an easy way to stay in touch with family, friends, customers, employees, or just about any group of people, feel free to direct them to me. Even if someone would simply like to send out a card or two that they can design online, we can help.

Also, if you know of anyone with a possible interest in having an online business, it would be my honour to introduce them to SOC. Don’t worry. I’m not an arm-twister, so I won’t be hounding anyone and you won’t lose a friendship over it! J

Until next time, thanks for reading and thanks for your friendship.

Photos: TOP - Apparently I was very excited about a birthday drink with my friends Sharon, left, and Cheryl. Or maybe it was the gift Cheryl was holding! It was my 50th at Mocha Cabana. BELOW - Overlooking the rive in Trail, B.C. with Uncle George and Aunt Joyce - two fabulous people. Friends and family. Gotta love 'em!

E-mail: blyderek@yahoo.ca

No comments: